You care about the environment and your mom. How do you show both? For many moms it’s not about the gift so much as it is about what is behind the gift; your love. But, if you feel a kiss on the cheek and time spent with her is not enough, then let me offer some suggestions that can fulfill both your requirements.
1. Your gift of labor. This year I’m asking my kids to weed my garden for me. I have not had the time and this will mean so much to me. Think about some task like that for your mom. She might not have a garden, but maybe she’d love to have her house cleaned.
2. A charitable donation made in her name. Does your mom have a favorite charity that she gives to? Does she wish she could give more? Giving in her name tells her you care about her passions and interests.
3. Plant an organic garden or potted garden for her or with her.
4. Give her the gift of fresh, organic food. Sign her up for and pay for a Community Supported Agriculture club, also known as a CSA. You pay a certain amount at the beginning of the season and then each week you get a bounty of local, and most often organic or close to organic, fruits and vegetables. We have belonged to one for years and we look forward to it each summer.
4. Reusable basics, especially if she does not have it or only has a few. I’m speaking of water bottles and shopping bags. Both are everywhere now and come in beautiful colors and patterns.
5. Organic flowers are a beautiful way to say I love you. If your local farmers market is up and running, you can probably get a wonderful bouquet there, but otherwise there are organic options online.
6. Cook her a special, organic meal. To really make it extra sustainable, try to find all or mostly local ingredients.
7. A gift certificate for a massage is a pretty low impact gift that will make your mom feel special. Not only will she feel relaxed, but there are therapeutic benefits to massage.
8. An organic facial or body treatment is another way for mom to feel loved and relaxed. You could do it together, or maybe you could pamper her yourself at home.
9. Is you mom interested in saving gas and getting healthier? What about a new road bike all tricked out with baskets and such? Saddle bags can be added to the back so she can do small errands on her new bike.
10. The traditional breakfast in bed. Make it yourself from local, organic food. Cut flowers from your own garden and give mom the ultimate indulgence of lounging in bed as long as she can stand it. Don’t forget her favorite newspaper, book or magazine.
I do think I let my hand slip there; I’m not a good sitting in bed in the morning person, but many people dream about being able to stay in bed all day. You know your mom. If you don’t see an idea that would appeal to her in my list, then do some online digging. An even better idea is to check out your local businesses that are unique to your town. Most importantly, tell her you love her and that you appreciate everything she has done for you. That’s what we want most.