Happy Earth Day! How are you celebrating today? Showing your support of Earth Day could be as simple as replacing an inefficient incandescent bulb with a new LED bulb, buying a reusable bag made from recycled material, planting a tree, shrub or other native plant in your yard, eating like a vegetarian for the day, or eating like a locavore. You can get an app for your smartphone from Locavore to help you find locally grown ingredients.
You can also find bigger ways to celebrate Earth Day by getting involved with sustainable organizations. The Earth Day Network has a site where you can find more information about Earth Day. Maybe this Earth Day is when you commit to make big changes in your life. Maybe today you decide to start biking to work or taking public transportation. Maybe today is the day you put in a compost or garden.
If you have the basics of reduce, reuse and recycle down, make bigger changes. If you don’t have the basics down, start incorporating them into your life.
1. Stop buying bottled water, bring your own reusable bottle
2. Stop accepting plastic and paper bags, bring your own reusable bags
3. Stop buying individually wrapped convenience items
4. Buy in bulk
5. Use rags instead of paper towels
6. Switch to glass food storage containers from plastic containers or disposable bags
7. Switch to recycled paper products like recycled-content toilet paper or recycled-content printer paper
8. Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins
9. Stop eating processed foods. Eat real, whole food and then don’t waste it
10. Stop putting chemicals on your lawn, heck, get rid of your lawn
11. Unplug stuff around your house or use power strips to turn things off
12. Support fair trade
13. Shop at farmers markets
14. Install low-flow faucets, aerators, toilets and shower heads
15. Take five minute showers
16. Shop in secondhand stores
17. Switch to non-toxic cleaners
18. Lower the temperature on your thermostat in the winter and increase the temperature on it in the summer
19. Weatherproof your home
20. Talk about sustainability
This list could go on and on, but this should get you started. Do you have some more ideas? Post them in the comment section. We can all learn from each other. Make every day Earth Day.